I should start this post with a few sentences of silence to indicate that I’m staring in total admiration at the Parallax Pro theme … but it’s difficult to show silence with text so I’d better get on with it.
Initially it’s that cool parallax effect that catches your eye and holds your attention but as you follow the flow of the homepage you start to notice other things.
The clean lines, the contrasting strong colours, the way the theme guides you from section to section on the homepage and most of all… the cool crisp and oh so clear typography.
Stories remain the most powerful way to persuade both online and off and no other recent web design trend has done more to impact the way we tell stories online than the advent of parallax web design.
Now your Genesis-based web design can be powered by it. Introducing, the most amazing Genesis child theme ever: Parallax Pro.
Parallax Pro theme features
Parallax Pro is a modern minimalist WordPress child theme built on Genesis 2.0. It’s HTML5 enabled, fully Mobile responsive and features the parallax effect on its homepage.
Here are a few of the features that come as standard with Parallax Pro:
- Homepage parallax effect – that cool effect where the background scrolls at a different speed to the rest of the page.
- Five different colour options – choose the colour that best suits your brand. Choose from blue, green, orange, pink or red. The demo site uses red.
- Six different colour “content box” options – six different coloured boxes styled with CSS allow you to highlight and showcase various areas of your content.
- Specific page layout options – choose from Author Page, Category Page, four different options for Columns Pages and full width Landing Page.
- Threaded comments enabled – see the flow of comments easily with threaded comments enabled.
Genesis 2.0 was released in August 2013 and since then StudioPress have been updating old themes and producing new themes to be HTML5 ready.
For a full list of HTML5 ready child themes check out All the latest Genesis child themes.
Setting up Parallax Pro #1 – general setup
No coding skills are required to set up Parallax pro. Set up is is achieved using a combination of:
- WordPress native functionality – for site title, custom header, menus etc.
- Plugins – the theme demo uses two plugins: Genesis eNews Extended and Simple Social Icons
- Widget areas – Parallax Pro has seven widget areas. All you have to do is drag widgets into widget areas, add content and save.
When you buy Parallax Pro you get access to the download area where you’ll find full and comprehensive setup instructions including screenshots and any html used in the theme. All you have to do is cut and paste.
The setup documentation covers everything you need from “Theme Installation” through to “Special Widget areas” and is broken down into the following sections:
Setup content sections for Parallax Pro theme
- Pre-Installation Setup
- How to Import Demo Content
- Theme Installation
- How to Configure the Genesis Theme Settings
- How to Set the Site Title
- How to Use a Custom Header Image
- How to Configure the Navigation Menus
- How to Configure the Home Page
- How to Configure the Home Section 1 Widget Area
- How to Configure the Home Section 2 Widget Area
- How to Configure the Home Section 3 Widget Area
- How to Configure the Home Section 4 Widget Area
- How to Configure the Home Section 5 Widget Area
- How to Configure the Home Page Background Areas – add the parallax effect to your homepage with the simple addition of background images
- How to Configure the Footer Widget Areas
- How to Configure Pull Images on Single Posts
- Special Widget areas Included in the Parallax Pro Theme
As you can see the setup information is thorough and comprehensive allowing you to easily set up your theme and as I said earlier… absolutely no coding skills required.
When you purchase a StudioPress child theme, you’ll be given access to the StudioPress download area.
This area contains all the themes you’ve purchased plus comprehensive setup instructions for each theme including screenshots and any HTML code used in the demo site.
The setup instructions also give details of plugins and plugin settings used on the demo site.
Setting up Parallax Pro #2 – homepage parallax effect setup
Parallax site design refers to the effect where the background of the website scrolls at a different speed to the rest of the page. This creates the impression of depth and allows for countless creative applications for online storytelling – it turns your web page into a storybook.
Creating the parallax effect in Parallax Pro
The Parallax Pro theme homepage includes 5 Home Section widget areas plus 3 optional background image areas that will display behind the Home Content Areas 1, 3, and 5. By adding images to the 3 background image areas you create the parallax effect.
The Home Section widget areas are shown below – note the background images in areas 1, 3 and 5:
To set the background images, behind the Home Content Areas 1, 3, and 5, go to to Appearance > Customize > Background Images in your WordPress admin panel.
Click the down arrow to the right of the image you would like to replace to display the option to upload or remove an image.
Follow the on-screen prompts to uploading a new image.
The image below shows the procedure:
The Parallax Pro theme demo uses images with dimensions of 1600px by 1050px for this area. The images used in these areas must be a minimum of 1140px wide.
The contents of the widgets used in these widget areas will overlay the background images.
That’s all there is to setting up your own parallax effect homepage… the Genesis devs have done all the hard coding so that you don’t have to.
Wow your visitors and tell your own story with Parallax Pro
If you’re looking for a modern minimalist theme with a homepage that will allow you to tell out your story in a logical, simple and easy to follow order and still provide enough wow factor to keep your visitors reading, then Parallax Pro is the theme for you.
For theme details and pricing head on over to StudioPress, put Parallax Pro through its paces and start telling your story.
Parallax Pro keeps your page content in proper narrative order, giving you a simple vertical design for easy visual eye movement and flow. It divides your content into parts, with a clear connection between them. This allows your visitors to read it like a real story, with no pause or break, and leads them right to your call to action.
Hope you enjoyed the review and found it helpful and if you have any thoughts on parallax WordPress themes in general or the Parallax Pro theme in particular, I’d love to hear from you in the comments below.
And if you’d like to spread the word about this fabulous theme please use my social sharing buttons.